BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 23 April 2010

Be who you have to be...


My mother used to always say ‘you’re a long time dead’ – what she meant by that was if you feel strongly, deeply, passionately that you have to do something like follow a dream or break out and do something that no one else agrees with or approves of, then just do it. In the end you have to be true to yourself.

I had a phone call this morning from a dear friend. What he said stuck in my mind all day. What if someone else says you’re selfish in your dreams or your needs? What do you do when you know in your soul that you have to follow your heart despite how it will upset another? Yeah, we all have to get on and co-exist but I have to wonder if another person is so against what you need to do then I have to question do they really get you as a person?

When you think about it every single one of us is unique. There is no one like you or like I. Other people can understand each of us up to a point. Our lives as individuals are bound by what is important to us. Can we really ask another to forgo their needs or dreams to fit into what we want? Is it really being selfish to be yourself and make yourself happy, maybe for just for a short time, in a world where daily we all have to deal with so much crapaciousness? Can it hurt to reach out and grab one thing that will make us smile or feel better about ourselves so we can then move on in the mundane minutiae of our lives? I think not.

You have to be who you are. I may not understand you and you probably won’t understand me but is it going to hurt either of us if what I want is not what you want to do?

You’re a long time dead – yeah, I agree. Grab the brass ring now. What are you saving yourself for?

(Picture is a sunrise at Port Douglas. My happy place)

Amarinda Jones
Penn Halligan
www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Be daring...read an Amarinda book

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone close to me has decided to follow his dream even though it is very drastic and will affect others close to him. But he needs to do what he has to do. I'm trying to support him, trying to get him.

A few years ago when I was in a company selling cosmetics, I was furious when they tried to impose their dream on me. I have my own dreams, thank you very much.