BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday 5 December 2010

No cheeseburger but…


I was invited out last night to a basketball game. Hmmm, basketball? I know nothing about it despite being part of the mighty, never-won-a-game Snowflakes under 10’s netball team as I kid. Yes, yes, different game but a ball is still involved. Anyway – I had a lot of fun at the game. It was the Cairns Taipans (lethal snake) versus the Wollongong (the Gong) Hawks.

What fascinated me was the tribal atmosphere of the event. These people take basketball seriously. The chant, clap, boo, hiss and do things like hold their hands up in the air when a Taipan player goes to throw the ball for a penalty shoot-out thingy. I don’t know what that’s about. I think it’s when someone bumps into someone else and just a ‘please excuse me’ is not acceptable. Yes, I suspect it’s the norm for basketball, but as a non sporting type I found it all quite fascinating. As for Joe Blake – rhyming slang for snake - mascot of the Taipans? What a crack up. I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw him. I especially liked his bright red eyes.

Did the Taipans win? But of course – however not enough for everyone to get a free cheeseburger at McDonalds. The Taipans have to get 85 points for that. They got 80. Bummer. Yes, I did think my hosts were taking the piss (pulling my leg) when they told me that until the announcer started urging the team on for the glory of all things cheeseburger. Would I go again? Oh hell yeah. I have no idea about sport but I love people with passion at their primal, authentic best. Go Taipans.

http://www.nbl.com.au/taipans-home/

Amarinda Jones
Penn Halligan
www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Be daring...read an Amarinda book

1 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like all kinds of fun.
The mascot is fascinating in a very strange sort of way.