BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 24 April 2008

Thursday Thoughts...


Swift of Heart Review

What's a girl to do when her ex shows up on her doorstep after mysteriously disappearing without a word? If you're Stephanie Hart, you slam the door in his face -- repeatedly. Davies has created a funny, feisty and very likable character. She's a breath of fresh air, and Davies is an author to keep an eye on.

http://www.romantictimes.com/books_review.php?book=34942

I got a letter today from the child I sponsor in Bangladesh. These letters usually come when I need a reality check. They pull me into line and make me realize how bloody lucky I am. I can pretty much have and do what I want in life – sure there are limitations but if road A does not work out then I can go down road B or meander over to C. M in Bangladesh has limited options but she is working her guts out to make a future for herself despite the obstacles that stand in her path. Here is a young woman who is almost 15 and she knows what she wants and is studying hard to get it. High school bored the socks off me. I always think of the Simon and Garfunkel
lyrics when I think of high school – “When I think back on all the crap I heard at high school it’s a wonder I can think at all.” But here is M soaking up every moment of study. She is even good at math and science which I sucked at. I admire the tenacity of this young woman. She lives in a country that is the third world. Options are limited for women. Marriage is expected of females. Many of them marry very young. M wants to be a school teacher or a nurse. I hope like hell she makes it. Reality check taken and attitude adjusted. Oh, I’m still a pain in the arse but it is reinforced to me once more how lucky I am.

Funny…today I was doing this inanely boring task – yes correct – work and boredom are one and the same to me. And yes, I am a bad employee. I expect in another life I will pay for it - maybe I’ll be a CEO in my next life and have to deal with an annoying employee like myself. Anyway, as I was doing this job, I happened to be standing in this small room that had the control panel for the air conditioning. Women kept coming in and out on a regular basis to turn it up then down. They got pissed off when they discovered someone had changed the temperature to how they had it set. Interestingly the younger contingent had the air con on hot and the older wanted it cold - hot flush territory I guess. But basically the thing that amused me most is that no one gave a rat’s arse about anyone but themselves and their own comfort. Don’t get me wrong – comfort is everything to me but it’s not realistic to think that others in an office will not get pissed off if you demand something that does not suit them.Team work – you got to love it.

So I bought a new clock a couple of days ago. Every night since I have woken up to this eerie green glow. Is it UFOs? A ghost? No it the frigging clock. It’s freaking me out man.

Mammogram…had one today….I have to go back for an ultra sound/ needle biopsy next week. I have problem breasts. Well of course I told the nurse. I don’t want just any normal, average thing. I want to be unusual. Anyway, it’s apparently it’s just a precaution. Okay - precautions are good. Why do I mention this? No, not for pity or anything like that - pity sucks. I mention it because if you have not had a mammogram recently or you are putting it off – go and bloody do it and let it be a precaution rather than a full blown emergency. Bonus is I get 2 hours off work to have it done…excellent. Time off work is always good. Am I worried ? Nope – because whatever happens…happens.

Anzac day tomorrow – I plan to get up and go to the dawn remembrance ceremony. What is Anzac day? It’s a day of great meaning to Aussies. I’ll have more on it tomorrow. If you are at the Lutwyche Cemetery at the war graves tomorrow at dawn and you see a cold, bedraggled woman barely coherent – that will be me – come say hello. I will try and form words but I cannot promise anything

Anny and Kelly are no doubt doing fascinating things – go be fascinated by them

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

6 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

What an excellent review. Way to go.
Many congrats on sponsoring that wonderful young woman. Wishing her all the success.
Good luck with ultra sound/needle b.

Molly Daniels said...

Both my mom and I had to have boob ultrasounds several years back. Hers was first...'old age fatty tissue' was the diagnosis, so I joked mine would be the same. Nope; I have a monthly cyst which shows up! Now I tease hubby, 'be nice to me and I'll let you feel it'!

Great review! I too liked SOH...

Anny Cook said...

Excellent review. I loved Swift of Heart.

I've been reading up about Anzac Day. I will be thinking about you at the Cemetery in the morning.

Mammos--every year. Best of luck with it!

Unknown said...

I love the Simon and Garfunkle quote.

I can't do the green clock. Unlike the red numbered ones the green ones are way too bright, causing me to stay up all night watching their nuclear reactor numbers slowly tick by.

Fingers crossed that everything turns out all right on your biopsy. You have such a great attitude towards life!

barbara huffert said...

Yes, I know. Time to make the appointment. I'm right on schedule...got the reminder card a month ago. Making the appointment next month just like always. Let us know how it goes.

Unknown said...

Oops, guess I'd better not tag you again. Let me know if any of your taggees answer. :)

Yep, it's an awesome thing to help a poor child. That's why I wanted to work for my charity so I can help people.

Re your eerie UFO light, I'll trade you that for my husband's ceramic dragons. How'd you like to wake up with these monsters glowering at you? Sometimes they scare the piss out of me.