BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 2 February 2009

Stepford people…

I was been quietly watching a certain party of people slowly unravel. It's been quite interesting. They're one of those clicky groups that you have to agree with everything they say and not rock the boat in order to be one of them. Needless to say, I'm not one of them - and that's okay. How do I know they are fraying at the edges? I can see it in their eyes and hear it in their responses to each other. So why are they unravelling? Because they're carbon copies of the other. How is this wrong? Well even if everyone is the boring same someone needs to provide interest to keep the heartbeat of the group alive. Picture a dozen cardboard cut out people all mumbling pleasant things as no one wants to upset anyone. Yeah, it's nice and peaceful but as boring as hell.

It's like watching the Stepford Wives. And these Stepford people worry me. Why? Because they are squashing down their own personalities to fit into a group. How hard would that be to be scared to say anything in fear of being ostracized? Remember high school? They’re like that. I was never part of any group - yeah, you're surprised. I spoke my mind a lot and got in trouble for it. That's never changed. I have to wonder if being a part of such a tight, anal group is slowly killing the group and they have not realized it yet.

Anyway back to the Stepford people. I am keenly waiting for one of them to explode and say what they really think as no one can be a clone forever. Yes, most of them are good people but even good people should be allowed to deviate from the herd. And would it be so bad to inject radical thoughts into a lifeless group? Why is it people get so scared to be different? Is it just wanting to fit in? Do normally timid people attract each other? Is it safer to be the same? It fascinates me. They have become like a case study to me. Yeah, I'll let you know when one of them breaks free and screams for independence. I would like to think it will be soon but it’s doubtful.

And yes, there is no ‘I’ in teamwork but as I always say if I had of made up the English language I would have put an ‘I’ in there for variety and because I could.


www.amarindajones.com
Go Ahead : Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

4 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

Is that before or after the alterations? 'Cause there were an awful lot of loose cannons in that story. I'd like a Stepford makeover myself. Something's gone terribly awry with my perfect hips, hair and lips.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Brynn - another comment! You honor me. My dear, do you work at our Geebung office in Brisbane? Have you 'heard' and 'seen' the people -read those words in my blog - I mentioned in this office? Or are you speaking from past working experience?

I am sorry you are feeling a little down on yourself with the 'perfect' - is there anything I can do?

And I always find loose cannons most intersting, don't you as they shake things up

February 5, 2009 4:25 AM

Phoenix said...

Yet being contrary for the sake of being contrary is just as ridiculous as agreeing to agree. Opinions are what they are and don't necessarily mean that anyone is afraid to rock the boat, that's just how they think. This mentality that everyone is skittish and afraid because you think so is presumptious bullshit. Get over yourself.

But then, that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.