BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 21 August 2009

The highlight of my day…

…..was getting a letter from M in Bangladesh. She is now 15. I’ve sponsored her for what seems like forever. She was just a sprog (little girl) when we started writing. Where did the time go? Her big plan now is to be a nurse. She was going to be a teacher but realistically she tells me her family needs her more to be a nurse. I admire her greatly. She has dreams but she also knows she needs to help her family. This is a young woman who gets excited by school exams and results. If she gets a book or pencils – she is over the moon. Soap and fresh water are a luxury. There are no mod cons in her village. M lives simply with her parents, brother and sister. M does not complain. I am completely humbled when I read M’s letters. I can do what I want. I am not restricted due to gender or ethnicity. I am beyond lucky. M’s letters are always a wake up call to me to be a better person.

Ok – off my soapbox…though I like it…makes me look taller…I was watching this version of Pride and Prejudice today. It’s one of my all time fave movies. While I love the Colin Firth version – what a delicious man - I love Greer Garson. What a classically beautiful woman she was. Yeah, it’s old but there is great beauty and romance here and neither dates. Step back in time and check out the old movies. They are true classics.



www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Be daring...read an Amarinda book

1 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I love PP. Have you read the book. I'm ashamed to say I haven't.