BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 25 January 2013

Unless there’s a croc chasing me…



When I was 13, I was standing in a school gym being told by a Phys Ed Teacher (sports Nazi) that I had to climb the rope (from floor to ceiling) because it would be ‘good for me’ and ‘everyone else is doing it’. At 13, dressed in a skimpy sports skirt, I looked from the floor to the ceiling, and thought there is no way in hell even if I can by some wild stretch of the imagination even get to the top that I want to slide down and get rope burn or will that even be the remotest bit good for me in any way, shape or form. And that everyone else was doing it? If I followed that logic I would have been smoking, drinking and pregnant or at least have a sexually transmitted disease at 13. So, I declined her direction. This had her sending me in the direction of the school Principal, whom I got along with very well, as he had an affinity with army brats, and I sat chatting with him and his secretary until the Phys Ed class was over. Funnily enough, I never got directed to do anything of a rope-like nature after that. Could have a lot to do with the fact that my mother directed the teacher to politely bugger off.

Anyway, today, at boot camp I had to climb a rope net. I personally believe that unless you are in the defence forces or under 10 years of age or stoned or drunk or have a crocodile chasing you, you shouldn’t climb anything made of rope. It’s a personal philosophy I have. Added to that the Jones women are genetically disinclined to do anything with rope.

Ropes – tie people up or down or lasso a horse or join the Navy and do knots. Climb them? Is there a croc chasing me?  

1 comments:

anny cook said...

:-) Go,Amarinda...