BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 29 November 2007

Beam me up Scotty...



I am doing the guest blogging gig on http://www.totalebound.blogspot.com/ please wander over and take a squiz, leave a comment, shoot the breeze or check out the Jones girl books.

Today…

I wanted a particular job. I went to the interview determined to get it. I charmed the pants off the interviewers. I can be disgustingly charming when I choose to be. The things that come out of my mouth astound me– “team player”- “dedicated to the job”- “sure I know how to use that program (not)” - “no, I never listen to gossip”you know, the usual stuff....anyway, I got the job. Yay me! But guess what? The job offer got cancelled an hour later due to ‘budgetary constraints.’ Well – bugger. You have to laugh don’t you?

So, I was driving home from work thinking about how bloody funny life is– ha-friggin-ha - and I decided that I take it too seriously. I always aim for stuff I cannot have. It’s a genetic coding issue. I suspect my convict ancestors believed they should have Captained the convict ship over and been pardoned when they got to Australia. We’re just like that. We expect to charm and bluff our way into stuff…probably how the convict ancestors got transported. Though I personally think they were framed. Anyway, this got me thinking about living the simple life – which if you knew me is hysterical as I am not programmed for simple. I am extra difficult with a side order of bossy and ‘oh god, not her again.’ So back to the simple life…for some reason I thought of Star Trek fans…you know Trekkies. They seem to lead these amazingly happy lives dressing up as Captain Kirk or whomever and going to conventions and speaking in Klingon. I loved the original Star Trek as a child. My brothers and I used to watch repeats religiously on a Sunday arvo many moons ago.



So Trekkies, to me, seem to have a good time. They are out mingling, swapping stuff, using pretend phasers and dreaming of beaming up somewhere into the final frontier of space. Good on them. That’s their passion in life. I admire passion. Then I started thinking about other people like Elvis impersonators - sorry tribute artists - and the Kiss Army and other similar groups . These people seem to have a bloody excellent time. They follow those they admire and they hurt no one. So why am I not following some pop culture phenomena with slavish devotion? What is wrong with me? That’s rhetorical by the way. As a demented teenager I once had this obsession with the Bay City Rollers. Yes, go figure. I loved them. I realised in later life when travelling in Scotland, and falling in immediate lust with a Highland god, that it was just the accent that had me. So spill, who did you have or still have a ‘thing’ for? Is there anyone you would slavishly follow with the devotion of a Trekkie? I bet you have someone Miss Molly.



So, it was only a fifteen minute drive home, but I thought much. As I wandered into the local bottlo (liquor store) I came to the conclusion that I probably will just remain the way I am – aim for stuff, get shot down then aim again. You know why? Because it’s so good when you stop.

Anny is talking about romance on www.annycook.blogspot.com. As always she is deep, meaningful and Zen like. I suspect she did not have an erratic crush on the Bay City Rollers when she was a teenager. Kelly, who is no doubt saying – who are the bloody Bay City Rollers – has the next riveting episode of the blog serial on www.kkirch.blogspot.com. I believe she is insane. Just a personal opinion. As always, I recommend the fine blogs to your left. They are wise, odd and funny…but then aren’t we all?

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/

Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

9 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

"This is my rock-n-roll love letter to you, this is my..." Go ahead, laugh at me. At age 10/11/12 (can't quite remember what age!) I loved BCR! Toss up between Woody and his going shirtless some weekends on their show; his wild socks; Les's vocals; or Derek's drumming and blond hair...sigh...they always had Witchie Poo on their show with wonderful skits!

The original Trek really didn't do anything for me, but in the movies, I liked the Doctor. And Scotty. Capt. Kirk was too much the Ladies Man. In TNG, I always wanted to be Troi, so I could have Cmmdr Riker sweeping me off my feet...that man could whisk me to Risa anytime:) DS9...Quark. Not cute, but had a great sense of humor! Voyager...Paris, I think. And Enterprise...definitely the Engineer...again, he could take me to Risa...hell, with this cold weather, I'd go to Risa with just about anyone who asked me!

Molly Daniels said...

And as you told me not that long ago, another job will come along which will be just right for your wit and intelligence...

Unknown said...

I am hopelessly devoted to David Bowie. In every persona he has ever adopted. His voice makes me swoon. His eyes are hypnotic (even the f'd up one. And yes, I know how that happend.) It has been decades and I am still in love with him. *sigh

I wish he had a mother ship he could beam me up on and make me his slave.

"Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave."
(Labyrinth)

Dakota

Anny Cook said...

I believe way back in my youth I had a thing for the blonde guy on Man from UNCLE. Yum. Saw him not too long ago on NCIS. He aged well.

And then later, I loved the McGyver. Not so much the Stargate thingy.

Kinda outgrew the whole "he's a god" thing now. Guess I finally figured out that they all put their pants on one leg at a time.

Molly Daniels said...

Forgot to mention Shaun Cassidy, and Harrison Ford...god I envy Calista Flockhart...but I think I've mentioned that previously...I love Star Wars:)

Unknown said...

Good on ya, Molly - you're a classic girl

Phoenix said...

You nailed it AJ. I was wondering who the Bay City Rollers were and then you up and outted me. Before my time.

Okay singers: Peter Cetera, STING (oh yes baby to this day), Adam Ant. Actors: ), Michael T. Weiss (Pretender series, sadly gay), and I decided that if I were ever lesbian--Angelina Jolie. Thassit.

Molly Daniels said...

You're kidding...the Pretender...Gay? Jaw dropping over here...loved him in Days of Our Lives!!

Sandra Cox said...

Well, I'm glad they had the good sense to hire you even if they can't afford you. Dammit.