BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 15 November 2007

Headbanging and other stuff....


I drive my editor nuts. I know, you are thinking how does such a sweet person such as myself drive someone else crazy? Well, I do - a lot. It’s all about headbanging. What’s that? Well that’s when you have too many point of view shifts in a book. I confess. I am a rampant head banger. I was looking up excerpts for author Sandra Cox – check out her blog http://sandracox.blogspot.com/- for an interview. I was reading through my books and thought ‘oh dear, there’s a lot of headbanging stuff going on here.’

Though, to be honest, I like headbanging. Yes, I know point of view shifts are bad because worlds collide, disease runs rampant and hungry lions prowl the streets. Grammatically it is forbidden. Headbanging is like a wild tennis match of thoughts between two characters. This is, apparently, a bad thing. To be honest I don’t get why it’s so bad. I am one of those people who wants to know everything at once – whose thinking what and how do I get to hear what that person’s saying while listening to this one? I believe that to be a headbanger you have to basically be a nosey, curious type. I am a trial and a tribulation but my editor mainlines caffeine, chocolates and aspirin and perseveres with me. So tell me, what’s so bad about headbanging? Are POV shifts going to end the world as know it? I am interested to know your thoughts.


The wall of wankerdom did not go up. If you are just new to my blog – welcome – the wall of wankerdom is a barrier that a precious 22 year old male wanted to put up as a temporary measure in my office while he shares space with me as they do whatever they are doing at work with relocations etc. It’s sort of like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic at the moment. Anyway, precious did not get the wall up as I stacked on a turn and explained how stupid I thought the wall was. So far no wall. I don’t think they are game and this disappoints me. I love a good stoush (fight) and I wonder where all the strong willed men have gone – long time passing? Just once I would like a man to stand up to me and say “Bugger off Amarinda, we are going to do it this way so go ahead stamp your feet if you need the exercise.” 'Seems those men no longer exist or do they?

On www.kkirch.blogspot.com Kelly is still doing penance for cutting the map of Australia in two on her blog. I gave her Aunty Jack to research and present on her blog today. Who was Aunty Jack? Essentially he/she was an actor called Graeme Bond who dressed up as a women with boxing gloves…yes, very cultural.


Check out the poster, The Aunty Jack Show, with the woman, er man, in blue. It was an iconic 70’s television show in Australia. Aunty Jack had the catch cry “I’ll rip your bloody arms off” that as kids we found hysterical. It was a comedy, a social commentary and just a silly show. I would love to see it again as we need more silliness in the world. It also spawned another iconic show called Norman Gunston. How to describe Norman? He always had a comb over and pieces of torn up toilet paper on his face from where he cut himself having. He was a loveable nerd who interviewed all the big celebrities of the time and they could never work out, the US ones in particular, if Norman was real or not. Want to know more? Click on the links below and enjoy a couple of moments of madness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnEOr1MgwTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7NGApxV_c

Go to www.annycook.blogpot.com and have a laugh. Anny actually can find words that rhyme with orange. Okay, so they’re not correct but that’s not to stay the Dictionary people aren’t looking into the possibilities. Kelly has the blog serial on www.kkirch.blospot.com. What can I say? I started writing a response at work and I still haven’t got one. Check out her blog and leave comments about how insane she is.


I read Traveller’s Refuge – part of the Mystic Valley series on Sunday. I read it in one hit as it was so good. It’s the sequel to Dancer’s Delight – however either book can be read independently of the other. What’s it about? I am glad you asked.

Traveller is on the run. Nasty people are after him but he’s not some pushover. He is intelligent enough to see trouble before it happens. His brother Dancer has disappeared. He needs to find him.

Through a series of adventures – no, I am not going to tell you what they are as it will spoil it when you read it – but let’s just say there is a very interesting character called Bishop – Traveller finds his way to Mystic Valley and the love of his life Wrenna. But of course, like all good romance novels nothing is ever easy.

So, if you like conspiracy theories, hot, knee wobbling sex and a good laugh flick over immediately to
http://www.ellorascave.com/productpage.asp?ISBN=9781419910593 and buy this book. You will not be disappointed.

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

6 comments:

Phoenix said...

I'm merely working out my defense argument. If I do something complete wretched then I can always provide witnesses to my insanity defense. Planning ahead.

Auntie Jack concerns me. You would think a cross dressing individual would be bothered by the use of facial hair. It's a dead giveaway. Oh wait. I forget to whom I'm speaking. Can he at least add beads?

Brynn Paulin said...

Headbanging is said to break the reader's intimacy with the character. That's all I'm saying.

I love Anny's books too. They're brilliant.

Anny Cook said...

Wow! Thank you, Brynn. I'm a headbanger, too, but I must not do it as much. Maybe. Thank you, Amarinda. Yes, yes, I'm working on Bishop's book.

Insanity is deeply underrated. We need more insanity in the world. I'm just doing my part. I would like to see this Aunty Jack show. No doubt I would find it very funny.

Molly Daniels said...

Norman sort of reminds me of Pee-Wee Herman...

And as stated yesterday, I am now hooked on BOTH of Anny's series:)

Bronwyn Green said...

As a reader, I find that excessive headbanging makes me far less emotionally invested in what happens to the characters. When that occurs I'm more likely to put down the book and not finish it, unless of course the story's really gripping. That said, some writers to headbanging much better than others.

Unknown said...

No, Norman is way better than that Pee wee person

Just to clarify - I am not a cross dresser

I love headbanging _ I may get a t-shirt made up saying that