BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Day 2 - the work week continues....








We are born at the rise of the curtain and we die with its fall, and every night in the presence of our patrons we write our new creation, and every night it is blotted out forever; and of what use is it to say to audience or to critic, "Ah, but you should have seen me last Tuesday?"-- Jules Renard

A miracle happened this morning. The phone and computers in the office would not work. It was a beautiful thing. Apparently some bugger cut a major cable in Queensland…a bit of an oops moment that caused major chaos. Anyway, despite my proactive suggestion to be have everyone sent home, management declined. Party poopers. Anyway we basically did nothing for 5 hours but sat and gossiped. I consider it networking. I learned lots of stuff. The most interesting thing was where the nearest brothel was. No, I'm not looking to take up extra employment - I know,
you probably could see me as Madam Lash - but sorry to disappoint. What interested me was the fact that I wanted to do some research on working girls and knowing the nearest place where ladies of pleasure ply their wares was about a block from work was excellent. I plan to introduce myself and see if I can chat with the receptionist. I mentioned this to one of my work colleagues who was horrified. “But it's a whorehouse!” I said the only thing that horrified me was there did not appear to be adequate parking around there
when I go to visit and ask questions…most annoying that.

And what's to be horrified anyway? Working girls have been around forever. I see no shame in what they do, They are supplying a service. I don’t see why these ladies should be considered any less because they work in a brothel. First up - sex happens. Second - people need to make money. If these ladies chose to make a living working where they do and they are not being held by force then who am I to judge?
Speaking of work…someone said to me 'we wish our lives away'. Yeah, I know it's not an unusual expression when it comes to wishing the working week gone. But I look at it in this way - we actually are wishing for more and better and work ain’t it. No one, as they say, on their death bed will wish they spent more time at work. Let's face it we work to get what we want for the life we want. It's a necessary evil. I don’t consider work real life anyway. It's something we do to have a real life

My question today…

1. Who is author Anika Hamilton?
I am an overly-dramatic and creative woman who loves writing. My stories cross several genres and themes, involving a mix of all kinds of loving and always with a happy ending. I have releases from Total-E-Bound Publishing and Siren-BookStrand.

2. What star sign are you? Name one fabulous characteristic of this sign.
I’m a Leo, and my fabulous characteristic is my broadmindedness.

3. Do you think your heroine is like you and if so why?
Yes. The heroine, Sandra Tucker in Dessert Box, is willing to try something totally new, even if it meant putting all her trust in her mate.

4. Do you get writer’s block? What do you do to break it?
Yes, I do. I move away from writing and read a book. Usually I’m just feeling overwhelmed and my brain needs to relax. It seems to work for now.

5. Do you subtly write friends and family’s characteristics into a book?
Yes, although it is not always subtle.

6. Do you think you should write what you know or go beyond your comfort zone?
I think if you are brave enough you should go beyond your comfort zone. It might not always work but it will most likely be fun. I try to write outside mine all the time, hoping to push against those invisible boundaries.

7. If you weren’t writing books what would you be doing?
I don’t know, maybe going to school to study something new.

8. Do you believe in soul mates or is it just hype?
I do believe in soul mates, and that there is someone for everyone, although we don’t always find them.

9. One wish for the world?
I wish everyone would strive for understanding of the differences in other people and cultures.
**************************
The Amarinda and Anny Contest…not long to wait now…

What could be better than kicking back with a good book? Winning twobooks - one from Amarinda JonesKnock Three Times and one from Anny CookKama Sutra Lovers. Fantastic. You want more? Be the envy of all with two hand made hair piks to adorn your locks. But wait – there’s even more! How about munching on a delicious care pack of Aussie treats? One lucky reader will win all of this. How do you win this fantastic prize? Go to www.annycook.com and www.amarindajones.com and answer an easy question -

If trapped on a deserted island what two things could Anny and Amarinda not live without? The answers can be found on the websites. As soon as you have them email
amarinda_jones@yahoo.com.au with your answers – there will be 4 in all.

The contest starts 18th July and closes midnight 23rd July 2008 (USA EST). The first correct entry drawn at random will win the prize. Good luck.


www.amarindajones.com
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

15 comments:

Anny Cook said...

So Tuesday wasn't so bad... no work for five hours and you found a new source of information. Not bad at all!

Anika Hamilton said...

Thank you for featuring me today.

I wish I had that kind of Tuesday, but so far the lights and phones are going strong.

A friend once told me: "if it is not illegal, then she has no problem with any job a person will do to earn their keep." Since then my high horse has been missing. And I'm happy for that.

Regina Carlysle said...

Five hours to chat and chill out. Not bad but they should've given you the day off. Having ya'll sit there is dumb. Interesting about the whore house. If it were legal, they would pay taxes and probably be required to have check ups. That would be a good thing.

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh, Anika...great interview! Nice meeting you.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Excellent interview, ladies. Anika, the book sounds great. As for work--why do the idiots seem to advance so far in the corporate hieracrchy? Never quite figured that one out.

Anika Hamilton said...

Hi Regina, nice to meet you too, and thank you.

Hey Cindy, thanks . . .

:-)

Sandra Cox said...

Great interview, ladies.
Amarinda, Is prostitution legal in Australia. Kinda funky in the states. Illegal except in Nevada.

Mona Risk said...

AJ after you interview the brothel's receptionist, don't forget to share your interview and impressions.

Good interview Anika. I couldn't agree more with your answer on #9.

Molly Daniels said...

My 1st 'adult' job, I shuttled kids to and from preschool. During Christmas Break, I got paid to sit on my butt and watch soap operas all afternoon! I just wanted to go home and not drive in the snow...and still get paid. My boss said no:)

Unknown said...

Man, do I wish someone would knock out the phones and computers at my day job. It was still pretty crazy today and I'm zonked.

Good interview with Anika.

barbara huffert said...

Wow how cool is that! I'd love to chat with a working girl, one that's there because she wants to be. The ones I've met all have extenuating circumstances which skew their perspectives.

Regina Carlysle said...

I just saw the most interesting thing. There's a whore house in Nevada called the Shady Lady Ranch. They are now offering a $50 gas voucher every time you spend $300 for the services of one of their "helpful professionals". SNORT.

Anika Hamilton said...

Okay Regina. That is priceless.

Regina Carlysle said...

I Know, Anika...snickering over this one!!!

JacquƩline Roth said...

I never could figure out why prostitution was illegal. It's legal for me to do your laundry, clean your house, wash your car, cut your lawn, etc. for money, why on earth would sex for money be illegal. It's a service and as long as no one is there under duress, what's the big deal? I say regulate it and let them pay income tax like the rest of us.