BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday 2 May 2010

Anti-panties….


I was editing this arvo and one thing really struck me. Every instance where I had written ‘underwear’ had been crossed out and the word ‘panties’ was inserted. Now, I don’t know about you but no real woman I know actually uses the word ‘panties.’ Its undies or underwear or knickers or pants – not plural. So, I have to wonder why, in the romance writing world, do heroines have to have ‘panties’? When did this become a rule? And why can’t we just write about knickers? Yes, I have written ‘panties’ in the past but since breaking away from one of the more ‘panties’ orientated publishers, I have been enjoying being able to use words like ‘dick’ and ‘baby’ without being told ‘we don’t dick around here’ and ‘baby is not an acceptable form of endearment between lovers’. Hmm…is ‘panties’ more erotic? Maybe to men - but then most men I know consider them an impediment to the real objective. And if ‘baby’ is considered by some nongs to be bordering on pedophilia then isn’t the cuteness of the word ‘panties’ pushing it too?

So, from now on I’m anti-panties and I will not be using it to replace other arse covering fabric. Be free of your panties. Demand real knickers.

Amarinda Jones
Penn Halligan
www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Be daring...read an Amarinda book

2 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I agree with you. I've never called my underwear 'panties'...ever, and I dislike the word. I wear boy shorts anyway. And the word 'baby' is a wonderful term of endearment that real life men use all the time when speaking to the women they love. It is not demeaning nor does it connote pedophilia in the right context, IMO! By the way - I Love Working With Siren. They are the ultimate in a professional epub. Congrats on your new contract!

Jacquéline Roth said...

Thank you for the observation about the word "baby" as a term of endearment. Anyone who thinks this harkens to pedophilia... well, I don't think I really want to know why it has that connotation for them.