Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Subtlety is not me…

I’m about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I often forget other people are not the same. Today I was grocery shopping after work and I was buying boring stuff like fruit and milk etc and I wandered into the bread section and I picked up a multi-grain loaf of ploughman’s bread. I’m not sure if that’s a universal bread type but if not it’s a crunchy hi-top loaf. Anyway, as I was selecting that, this man came up beside me and started asking me questions about the bread – ‘what’s a ploughman’s loaf? Is soy & Linseed bread good for you? You have the poppyseed one – is that tasty?’

Huh? What? Do I look like I work here? I was polite but after a long day at work discussing bread is not what I want to do. So, I told him to buy the white loaf – he looked like white bread – and wandered off. This older woman touched my arm as I passed her by – she was holding a family size block of chocolate which indicates great intelligence – and she said ‘he was trying to pick you up dear.’ Huh? What? I turned back and looked at him and he smiled and I thought a couple of things - firstly – you have to give a man kudos for having the guts to try and do that and secondly – I’m very thick when to comes to men and signs so unless a man is very direct with me I don’t pick up on it. Did I go back and discuss bread with him? No but I did go and buy a block of that chocolate though. You always know where you stand with chocolate.

Amarinda Jones
Penn Halligan
Be an Amarinda book


Sandra Cox said...

Someone hitting on you in the bread aisle huh? Well that's original. You hottie you.