BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 6 October 2008

About time…

"It's about representing people of all different sizes and all different looks and ensuring people know that it's OK not to (be skinny)," she said.
Under the code, magazines and advertisements would be forced to disclose whether a model's image had been digitally enhanced.
"We know so often that when we see images that people are aspiring to look like, they have been altered and enhanced," she said.
"We need to have a transparent system where people realise the models in those pictures don't look like that themselves and disclosing when there's been altered or enhanced images."


Click here for more.

Australia is looking at introducing a code of conduct when it comes to the portrayal of women in magazines. What does that mean? Basically they are trying to rid the perception that to be thin is to be beautiful. I think we all know that is a load of crap. We also know that most magazine photographs are air brushed to make someone look thinner or less wrinkled or in some cases endow them with was more cleavage. I have never understood this. Yes, I suppose you could say that these magazines are selling dreams of what people aspire to be. You could say that and I would have to vehemently disagree with you. They are selling false reality to the insecure and making money from it. Wankers. I have always believed that no one should measure themselves against another let alone the media’s perception of beauty. That is just wrong and in some cases tragic. If thats the dream then I would rather snore my way through it.

I refuse to be bullied into thinking that I may be so flawed that I must use the new wonder cream – Tibetan Yak Spit – or that to look beautiful in the eyes of the man I love that I must be impossibly thin. Am I flawed? You betcha I am and everyone else on the planet is as well – hence the air brushing of pictures. I hope this code of conduct works. I hope the next generation of women grow up not to worry about having to fit some insane, unrealistic perception of beauty. Do I think this code will work? No. Because there will always be some influential dickhead out there willing to work around the code and trade on weakness. How do we stop people like this other than using a cattle prod? By refusing to fall for the crap they espouse, by judging someone by the look in their eye and the strength of their words and by telling these dipsticks that their thoughts are ugly and there is not enough cream or air brushing in the work to fix that.
www.amarindajones.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmarindaJonesNewsletter/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

0 comments: