BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday 13 September 2008

Tired-arsed Saturday stuff...


bindies --n. pl. thorns in the grass (an Australian word)
You're not yet Australian until you're more scared of bindies than redback spiders.
thorns grass burrs pain hurt

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bindies

That’s true – I killed an enormous redback spider the other day with my thong – er flip flop to non Aussies. Redbacks are nasty poisonous things and I would rather handle one of them than a patch of bindies. I have lots of them all over the lawn. I saw them today. Every year I think I have eradicated the little bastards but there they are once more. It’s the one thing that grows regardless of the drought. What are bindies? They’re burs that usually grow in patches. In the summer, they dry out and get really sharp and when you step on them they dig into your flesh and hold on – and not just one – they come in clusters. As dumb kids we used to challenge each other to run over bindi patches to prove how tough we were. Every kid or ex-kid in Oz could tell you a dreaded bindi story.

So what is the point of the above? Maybe its just about small things that can annoy you but in the end can be destroyed if you apply yourself.


What about another type of bindi? These started out as Hindu tradition and spirituality.

The area between the eyebrows (where the bindi is placed) is said to be the sixth chakra, ajna, the seat of "concealed wisdom". According to followers of Tantrism, this chakra is the exit point for kundalini energy. The bindi is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration. [1] It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindi_(decoration)

The thing that amuses with these bindis is that they are considered a fashion statement. Spirituality verses what is trendy. People will wear anything, without thinking about the significance behind it just because everyone else is. I’m not religious in any way but I do respect other people’s beliefs and while I like the shape and style of the Celtic/Gothic crosses, I would never wear them because it’s not what I believe in and all the fashion hype in the world is going to make me. Nor would I consider a bindi. So I have to wonder if women who dot a bindi on their forehead really get the meaning or are they doing it because someone like Gwen Stefani has? Are we really that shallow? My thoughts? Yes.

www.amarindajones.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmarindaJonesNewsletter/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

4 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Those suckers look painful! We have similar stickers here though maybe not as big. Ugh.

Molly Daniels said...

So Steve and Terri Irwin named their daughter after thorns? Yikes!

And I still call flip-flops thongs, to the irritation of my teens! When did they stop being thongs anyway? When the underwear thong came around?

Regina Carlysle said...

Bindi wearing hasn't hit Texas yet. If this isn't a religious/spiritual thing then why do it?

Interesting. Bindi. Something little that sticks and pokes and generally irritates. They must be destroyed.

LynTaylor said...

Hahaha .. give me Red Back's any day LOL!