BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 8 September 2008

What is the point?

K, a non writer friend said – why do you bother spending so much time writing? What do you get out of it? What’s the point? Being a Monday, it was really too many questions to answer in a row. My response was does there have to be a point and why do you care? He was just interested as he doesn’t get the whole writing thing. Well really, who does? Its angst filled, long hours talking to yourself. Non writers think people who sit on their arse and type are weird. Well yes, they are – okay? Writers will tell you it comes from the depths of their souls this passion to write. Me? I don’t know. I really don’t try to analyse the whole writing thing that much. You would go ga-ga. It just is. Besides there are so many others writers out there who can give you some deep and meaningful answer to scribbling down thoughts into works of fiction so I’ll leave that up to them. I personally do what I do because I do and there ain’t nothing to analyse in that so why drive yourself nuts?

K and I went on to discuss the point of other things – work, life, religion, the moon walk conspiracy, the postal service, blue verses black pens…you know the whole man’s inhumanity to man stuff. In the end K gave me a headache and I sent him on a time out to analyse why he was bugging me with these questions on a frigging Monday - riddle me that.

Think about it…if people stopped analysing what this person did or said or how that person got X when they got Y or why someone hates someone else for their opinion or colour or religion then how easy would life be? No one would be jealous of anyone, wars would cease because I would not care why you have something I didn’t and opinions could be said without people getting their knickers in a knot. How good would that be if we just did stuff without worrying why? If we stopped analysing the point of everything then we could just get on with the business of living. Don’t you get tired of explaining yourself or having to worry about whether someone will get their nose out of joint because you said something controversial at work, on a blog, in a store? Actually would controversy even exist if there was nothing to analyse? And no, I know what you’re thinking – you have to care about something. True. You do. But as I believe in the saying of pick your battles, I also believe in pick what you can control and can care about. It has to something that means something to you and that’s got nothing to do with analysing and everything to do with heart.
And no, of course people will always analyse and look for the point or the meaning or the reason. That’s what humans do. As people we like to bitch and whinge and moan. We like to covet and envy and hate. We like to loathe and despise and plot revenge. We want to know the whys and the wherefores even when it’s none of our business. You’re probably shaking your head right now and saying – not me, I’m none of those things. Aren’t you? Want to think again? Or are you practising the concept of non-analysing? See? It may catch on and we can all be blinded to our faults and the faults of others.

Yes, how frigging deep and meaningful for a Monday but it’s not my fault it’s K’s for bringing up the whole what’s the point of writing thing. Oh, and after his time out did he work out why he was bugging me with these questions? No, just wanted to waste time and he knew I would be the perfect person to do it with. See, there is no point to stuff sometimes – you just go along with it.

www.amarindajones.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmarindaJonesNewsletter/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

6 comments:

barbara huffert said...

I'm here, reading this on Monday morning BEFORE work. Too much. My brain hurts. Smack K for me. Damn man. Worldwide ramifications to asking too many questions.

Sandra Cox said...

Yikes! Pretty heavy stuff for Monday, Ms. Amarinda. I trust its been a good one for you.

Regina Carlysle said...

Most of us DO analyze things to death. K. needed to be in time out for hitting you with all of this. Especially on Monday. Sometimes trying to figure out why people behave as they do feels like working a puzzle but then after awhile it just makes your head ache.

Anny Cook said...

Children ask unceasing questions, all beginning with the word "Why?" Tell K to grow up.

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Why is the sky blue (actually I know the answer to that one but it's too scientific to bother with on Monday.) Why do I write? Hell if I know.

Unknown said...

I'm too tired to analyze anything today. But I write because I have to, because I'm driven, because it makes me happy.