BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 29 September 2008

To suck or not to suck?

That is the question. What am I talking about? Vampires - and specifically writing about them. I had a hard time writing my first vampire novel, Shades of Gray, because I had a specific idea how I wanted my vamps to be. They were not the stereotypical bloodsuckers that most people know and love. Some of my vamps crave blood – some don’t. Some look to their true love to sustain them through the cravings and to make them better men.

I actually expected Shades of Gray to fall on its arse because its hard writing for a specific genre, knowing the fans of the genre are very picky about their vampires. I understand that - and so they should be. I was gobsmacked when Shades of Gray did very well. The reason? I was told by many readers and reviewers that my vamps were unique - quirky - odd. I like odd and quirky works for me. This inspired me to write Marlow's Curse - the follow on. It also did well. So, after requests for more vamps, I am once again in the middle of writing about vampires. I like this new lot – they are also different from the last – and yes, Temperance makes an appearance, along with Asher and Marlow. Will anyone like them? Who knows? That’s the risk when it comes to writing. I like risk. It keeps you on your toes and your mind active. I believe in the catch cry I use on my emails and on the blog - Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for? Take a punt - have a go. What is the worst that can happen?

So, when people ask me what I did on the weekend I say vampire sex. I can tell you that I get a lot of odd looks from strangers. Those who know me just nod and smile and say ‘that’s nice.' I’d like to meet a vampire and ask him some questions. Do I believe they exist? Sure – why not?

That’s it – Monday was shockingly blech, blah and uh-huh. No doubt something fascinating will happen tomorrow.


Shades of Gray review
I’ve made no secret about my love for humorous stories filled with plenty of hot trysts and tons of laugh inducing encounters. Shades of Gray is another gut buster from Amarinda Jones well known for her red-hot heroines and their strong and lovable partners. Temperance takes her place right by the side of her predecessors for her ability to take any situation in stride. Any woman who can spend her evenings working out in a cemetery has nothing but respect from me. Asher was a cuddly hero albeit a little old-fashioned in his terms of endearment. Shades of Gray is another great story that kept me giggling, blushing and totally captivated. A reader who enjoys a lot of fun and couples that burn up the pages will love Amarinda Jones’ latest.Shades of Gray
http://joyfullyreviewed.com/reviews/Aug08/
shadesofgray.AJ.html

www.amarindajones.com
www.AmarindaJones.blogspot.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmarindaJonesNewsletter/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

0 comments: