BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday 27 April 2009

On the road again....


Years ago, when I was young and stupid, as opposed to now where I am just older and marginally less stupid, I used to travel a lot. It meant nothing to me to earn enough to get an airfare, have a couple of hundred dollars in my pocket with my passport and just piss off overseas to travel and work. I loved doing it. I enjoy living out of a suitcase. I love just wandering around with no agenda.

But then there comes the day when you arrive home with only $40 USD, a piñata and a hangover – you own nothing and while having no plans is fun, it’s not going to get you anywhere in life. So, I had a moment in my mid twenties when I thought – pull your head in and get your act together, woman – and for god sake get rid of the piñata. I did. Of late I have been pleased that all my ducks are finally in a row, albeit slightly haphazard, and I seem to be doing okay…now the itchy feet have started up again.

A friend of mine has been talking about going to Cairns. She is heading up in this next week. That had me thinking… “I have never been to Cairns.” Where is it?
Click here. It’s in pointy end of Australia, in the tropics and it’s where you can go take a look at the Great Barrier Reef etc. It’s about 2 and a half hours from Brizzie by plane and due to the economy there are some fantastic deals encouraging people up there. Well – that’s good enough reason for me – itchy feet + deal = walkabout. So I am going up north mid June. It’s technically winter in Oz but it will be – as the Cairns tourism operator said – shorts and t-shirt weather. Excellent – that’s me – I hate dressing up and no one dresses up in FNQ – far north Queensland – that's too long for an Aussie to say.

I am not one to make grand plans per se other than booking a flight and a hotel – but damn I am looking forward to this. I already intend to go sailing, snorkeling and touring the rain forest. It has ignited my love of travel once more. I have vowed I am going to do this more. Life is too short to be phoning it in constantly– and money? While money is a capitalist concept that I love, it’s just meant to be spent and I can’t think of anyone else who deserves my money more than me.

And yes…I will be writing a romance based on Cairns…I’ll be taking notes on things, Mr Tax Man…

www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Go Ahead : Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

0 comments: