BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday 28 May 2009

Rant...


California's Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a referendum which outlawed gay marriage but said 18,000 same-sex weddings carried out before the vote would remain legally valid.

Gay and lesbian activists had been seeking to overturn the results of the November referendum which redefined marriage in California as being unions between men and women only.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/5604154/california-upholds-gay-marriage-ban/

I have said it before and I will say it again...who the hell has the right to tell people who they can love or marry? How dare they? While it's great that they are going to uphold those marriages that took place, they are stripping away the fundamental rights of anyone else who wants to marry now or in the future in California. I swear to god this makes me so angry. Why? Because it's effectively condemning a section of society for the lifestyle choices they make. I don’t give a rat's arse if you are gay or straight, purple, pink or puce - what you choose to do with your life is up to you and archaic thinking about sex and love is wrong. How dare some people set themselves up as the judge and jury over people's emotions and needs? I couldn’t believe the news when I heard it on the radio. I made me both mad and sad. Human rights are just that. The right to be human and feel and act like every other human regardless of what you believe.

And for those of you who think - well, it doesn’t affect me I’m not gay – I believe you’re wrong - anything that affects one human being’s rights affects all of us and sticking your head in the sand or quoting scriptures to try and prove only men and women can be together is crap. And I am sure there is some do-gooder out there thinking ‘well, at least gay and lesbian couples can still be together. We're not stopping that. We just won’t make it legal, easy or a fundamental right’ - what a load of bullshit. That's no frigging concession to people who love each other and want to be together. And why should they be considered any differently to anyone else? This decision in California sucks big time and those who made it should be ashamed.

Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Iowa have all extended full marriage rights to gay couples, while New Hampshire and New York have edged closer to adopting such a law.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/5604154/california-upholds-gay-marriage-ban/

Good for them. They do not allow prejudice to rule.

As always – you can email me.

www.amarindajones.com
www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Go Ahead : Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

0 comments: