BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday 8 December 2007

12 Days of Romance competition - it's here!


12 Days of Romance – yes it officially begins today! Let the pigeons loose!

Do you want to win some fantastic holiday reading? Of course you do. If so come celebrate the Twelve days of Romance with 12 authors from Ellora's Cave, Wild Rose Press, Total-E-Bound and Cerridwen Press. Each day beginning December 8th and running through December 19th one of the twelve authors will tell what their "True love gave to them" on either their blog or website.

Collect all twelve answers and e-mail them to anny@annycook.com with 12 days of Romance in the subject line to win some great books. There will be three lucky winners.

The prizes1st prize--6 books 2nd prize--4 books 3rd prize--2 books. All books and prize winners will be drawn randomly.

Anny Cook Winter Hearts
Sandra Cox Boji Stones
Bronwyn Green Ronan's Grail
Heather Hiestand Cards Never Lie
Barbara Huffert Deal of a Lifetime
Amarinda Jones Mad About Mirabelle
Kelly Kirch Time for Love
Cindy Spencer Pape Cowboy's Christmas Bride
Brynn Paulin Fallen
JacquƩline Roth Access Denied
KZ Snow Mrs. Claws
Lacey Thorn Earth Moves

All answers must be received no later than the stroke of midnight 21st December (Northern hemisphere time) or worlds collide and you don’t want to be responsible for that now do you?


The Philadelphia Story.

Dexter: She needs trouble to mature her, Kittredge. Give her lots of it.
George: I'm afraid she can't count on me for that.

Dexter: No? That's too bad. Sometimes, for your own sake, Red, I think you should have stuck to me longer.
Tracy: I thought it was for life, but the nice
Judge gave me a full pardon.
Dexter: Aw, that's the old redhead, no bitterness, no recrimination, just a good swift left in the jaw.

Dexter: I suppose you'd still be attractive to any man of spirit, though. There's something engaging about it, this goddess business. There's something more challenging to the male than the, uh, more obvious charms.
Tracy: Really?
Dexter: Really. We're very vain, you know - 'This citadel can and shall be taken, and I'm the boy to do it.'

One of my favourite all times movies was on television this arvo. The Philadelphia Story. I taped it on my antiquated VCR to watch later tonight. Yes, I could buy a DVD but why chuck out something that works for a new whiz bang model? Whiz bang is not always better. Anyway I love this movie. It is from 1940 and it is an archetypal romance/screwball comedy. Put Cary Grant in a movie and I will watch it. Ever seen His Girl Friday? It’s a classic. Like The Philadelphia Story there are some excellent lines in it. I think it’s sad and limiting that people forget about the old classic movies. New movies have there place but don’t forget the old ones. Although they don’t have the rampant sex of their contemporaries they do have wit, charm and a strong under lying sexuality. Let’s face it, sex does not have to be in your face to be sexy. Sometimes a look says it all. So tell me, what look did it for you? What got your knees wobbling? Was it one too many drinks or a man? Care to share?


Wedgedale

I am off to Wedgedale tomorrow. Where is it? Actually it doesn’t exist. What? Let me explain. There was a comedy (some call it that) show that was on Aussie TV recently. It was called The Wedge set in fictitious Wedgedale. I never watched it. However, both Ethel and Katie (best friends) did. One of the skits was called the “The Pokie Girls” It revolved around these two white trash women who spend their lives playing the poker machines (slot machines) or as we call ‘em the pokies. Anyway, apparently each time these women won some money they yelled out “Lucky” at the top of their shrill voices. Okay - so Ethel and Katie like to play the pokies and they do the same thing every time we go to this particular sports club for lunch – hence why we call it Wedgedale. So picture two grown women shouting out “Lucky!” every time they win a dollar. What do I do? I just nod and smile and chat. It’s not like I’m sane so I can hardly expect others to be. So tomorrow if you are on the south side of Brisbane in a sports club just over the Gateway Bridge and you hear “Lucky!” being screamed out every couple of minutes, that’s us…come and say hello.


Five fast ones with author Anny Cook

1. What star sign are you?
On the edge, depending on which book/column you read between Scorpio and Sagittarius. Name one fabulous characteristic of this sign. So powerful and passionate, honest and straightforward

2. Aliens surround your house during your favorite TV show. You are in grave danger. Do you turn up the sound? Grab your laptop and start taking notes for your next book? Or do you turn off the lights and pretend you’re not at home? Or none of the above?
What’s the sense of adventure there? Why not open the door and invite them in for a drink and snack? Maybe see if they’re willing to take a passenger back with them? I have this neighbor that I’ve been thinking was an alien for quite a while. I’m sure I could work a deal with them to take her home.

3. My favourite food is….chocolate almond chip ice cream because I CAN!

4. If I was in charge of the world I would...
make all men have at least one baby. That would absolutely solve the population control problem. No sex until they have their first child. And I would make every individual live without running water for two weeks. Think that would solve the water shortage.

5. Name your special talent. Keeping secrets. Not my own necessarily, but other people’s secrets.

Winter Hearts – by Anny Cook - released 12th December 2007 through Ellora’s Cave. Click on the cover above and buy any or all of Anny's books

The Blurb….

Unity Brooks can't believe her eyes when she discovers evidence of illegal transactions in the company books. She presents the evidence to her supervisor who listens attentively and even provides her with a comforting cup of coffee. Imagine her embarrassment when she wakes half-naked and bound in the arms of Aquila Johnson, the accountant auditing the books.

After spending a stunning night with Unity, Quill is puzzled when she drops out of sight. His employer sends him home to investigate a case nearby until the media finds other scandals to focus on. When the two cases collide and Unity's life is threatened, they learn that sharing secrets is the safest way to stay alive.
Weather in Brisbane…

Hot, humid and sweat inducing. Clothes to wear? Bra and shorts. People to frighten in said ensemble? Many. Amarinda care factor? Negative 12.

Amarinda Stats…

People who came to the door today and I ignored: 2 (they know to ring before you lob in rule for god sake!)
Devoured today: (I expect to explode any moment now.)
- 1 bag of corn chips
- 2 cheese and vegemite scrolls
- 3 carrots
- 1 banana
- 4 Tim Tams (medicinal)
- 1 soon to be consumed bottle of plonk (also medicinal)
Loads of laundry – 4 (So Brynn what’s your count? http://brynnpaulin.blogspot.com)
Legible Christmas cards written 3
Non-legible – 6
Cards sent – 9
Food cooked – zip
Words written - lots
Evil
thoughts – 7
Good thoughts – 1.375

Anny has the blog serial and a cute xmas story on www.annycook.blogspot.com and Kelly - well gee, I know what she has on her blog but you're just going to have to go to www.kkirch.blogspot.com to see for yourself.

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

7 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Love the pic of Grant. He was soooo hot. Not that I notice things like that mind you. He was very aesthetically pleasing:)

Anny Cook said...

I love all the old movies, especially anything with Cary Grant or Katherine Hepburn in it. Excellent movies!

Phoenix said...

Not an old movie fan at all. I start in the 80s. With very few exceptions do I find the earlier ones worth the effort.

Love the Amarinda report. Go scare the neighbors.

Bronwyn Green said...

I've had plenty of experience with wobbly knees, but the first time it hit and hit hard I was 14 and at an Adam Ant concert watching the opening band. There my eyes beheld Michael Hutchence of INSX and the rest of those Aussie boys.
I looked at my friend Beth and said, "Ohhhhhhh, so this is the lust Sister Rosine has been on about." I was so bummed when they went offstage and Adam Ant came on - I could have watched MH for weeks. First official wobbly knees moment.

Bronwyn Green said...

Clearly, I meant INXS not INSX - sheesh!

Molly Daniels said...

My first wobbly knees moment? Fell in love with Harrison Ford about the 5th time I saw Star Wars. First 4 times, I was drooling over Mark Hamill. Also fell in love with Robert Redford every time I was allowed to watch 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' whenever it was playing on TV...

JacquƩline Roth said...

I love old movies. The Philidelphia Story is one of my favorites. Cary Grant is one of my favorites. I own His Girl Friday on VHS, The Bishop's Wife, An Affair to Remember, etc. The man was romance.