BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday 26 December 2007

So what’s it all about?


Today’s quote –

You cannot be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you--Mary Tyler Moore

Definition of insanity – Boxing Day post- Christmas sales. Does anyone seriously believe they get a bargain? And yet people push and shove each other in the belief that they will get the ‘bargain’ before anyone else does. Anyone who has worked in retail knows stuff is ‘bought in’ for these sales. But whatever…

I love this picture. It’s called Miranda and the Tempest and it’s by John Waterhouse. To me it’s about accepting that there are some things you can never fix and that sometimes you just have to stand on the shore and, metaphorically, (big word for the day) watch a ship in trouble and know there is nothing you can do about it. It’s a picture I have at home and one I have at my desk in whatever job I do. Nah, I don’t see it as depressing. It’s all about facing up to stuff you cannot change and moving on. Yes, how philosophical am I being today?
Change of tack….I have been writing most of the day. It’s been quiet and peaceful with no interruptions. I have been thinking lately about a couple of letters readers sent to me. They were all about what they considered ‘romantic’ in my books. I appreciate these letters as it helps me to know if I am hitting the mark when it comes to reader expectations. One reader liked that my hero took the time to kiss and hold the heroine's hand and say sweet things to her. The fact that he did not go straight for sex appealed to her. Another liked the fact that the heroine was real – bumps, lumps, cellulite - and that the hero saw beyond that and wanted the woman for who she was.

So what is romance? Stuffed if I can give you a definitive answer. The Internet has a few.
- A love affair.
- Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love:
- A mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful:
- the art of Chivalry


And there are romantic quotes like…

- When you love someone, all your saved-up wishes start coming out. ~ by Elizabeth Bowen (1899-1973) ~
- As I continue my talks with her, I become aware that, in my heart, a window is opening. — Akhito, Crown Prince of Japan
-Never go to bed mad -- stay up and fight." - Phyllis Diller
-To be in love is merely to be in a state of perceptual anesthesia." - H.L. Mencken
-In the words of David Cassidy, while he was still with The Partridge Family, I believe.....I think I love you." Four Weddings and a Funeral


Okay, I threw the last 3 in because they amused me. So romance can mean almost anything to anyone. Some things just are and have no definition. Maybe it’s simple stuff like

- Hand holding
-Opening a door
- Really listening to someone
- A smile
- A knowing look
- A soft kiss of reassurance
- Flowers for no reason

So just what is romantic to you? Do authors get it right?
Speaking of those critters called authors, today is Wednesday and yes, you’re right, there is no Wednesday interview. It will be back on January 9th. Among some of hard hitting questions I will ask are ...

Q. Do you subtly write friends and family’s characteristics into a book?

Amarinda – Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.

Q What do your friends think of your writing?

A – They laugh hysterically and say “What next, Amarinda? Lion taming?”

Q. If you weren’t writing books what would you be doing?

A – The housework hence the writing

Q. Is what you look for in a man what you write in the hero?

A – But of course.

Q On your wedding day the man you have secretly lusted after turns up as one of the guests and declares he loves you. What do you do?

A – Wake up and realize it was all a dream – whew!

Q. If your book was made into a movie who would play the hero and heroine?

A – A no brainer for an Aussie – Hugh Jackman and Cate Blanchett

See? Hard hitting fact finding information that people need to know…okay, maybe not need
to know but that’s what I’m giving to you


A Swift of Heart moment…

He knew how to play this hand to win. Stephanie Hart hated being challenged at anything. She would go with him to Melotia out of pure perverseness.
“I’m not scared!” Stephanie hated it when he looked at her in the superior manner. “I just don’t think I’m ready for Melonworld. I have no clothes or stuff…”
“We have stuff in Melotia.”
“Whatever. I’m not going.”
Mac shook his head in mock disappointment.
“I didn’t think you would scare this easily Stephanie Hart.” He knew his words were pissing her off. “You’re not worried that you are falling for me again?”
“As if!” Stephanie would have loved to smack that smug grin off his face. He was waiting for her response, the definitive reason she could not go. And she wished she had one that either made sense or was not the truth. She wasn’t one hundred percent ready to accept the truth herself, let alone want Mac thinking she had forgiven him everything so easily.
“It’s just…well…it’s just weird.”
Mac leaned over the table and smiled into her eyes.
“Weird can be interesting. Take a chance.”
“On weird or on you…or is that the same thing?” Stephanie smiled mockingly at him.
“So funny,” Mac responded as he reached for her hand again. “Take my hand and let’s be gone.” He set the coordinates for Melotia on his watch.
Stephanie looked at him incredulously.
“We can’t just up and disappear from a McDonalds! What will these people think?”
She looked at the people around her. One obese man dedicated to his three Big Macs, another who was staring at the smiling Ronald McDonald face with the glazed attention of a junkie and two young lovers clearly out on a date and paying no attention to anyone but themselves.
“I don’t believe either the drunk in the corner or the half-asleep crew member will care or notice.” Mac stood to his feet pulling her up with him.
Stephanie swallowed hard and made her mind up. She was no timid scaredy cat. She could do this. How hard could it be? She slapped her hand in his.
“Okay, fine, let’s do it. Ready or not Melotia here I come.”


I have no idea what Anny and Kelly are up to but I recommend scarpering over to www.annycook.blogspot.com and www.kkirch.blogspot.com who knows what they may say. And, it goes without saying – so why am I saying it - because I can – the blogs to the left are fascinating slices of life. Would I lie to you?

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for?

4 comments:

Phoenix said...

I like the "mysterious" descriptions. Romance is definably undefinable in so many ways. Like holding water in your hand--you almost have it and then, nope, it's left you again.

Good blog. And for Pete's sake, who wouldn't cast Huge for a starring heroic role?

Anny Cook said...

Very good blog. Especially liked your painting. It's beautiful. I see it as hopeful.

Mona Risk said...

If I wasn’t writing I would do anything but housework, now that my hubby is well trained.

I love the pictures you posted. So romantic.

Anonymous said...

LOL! *quote* 'who wouldn't cast HUGE for a starring heroic role?' .. he he .. okay, mind above the belt Kelly :D