BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 28 December 2007

OMG! We have no condom!


I had just finished writing the best romantic sex scene I had ever written and it suddenly occurred to me – the hero did not have on a condom. Bugger. I had to then go back and re-read what I had just written and work out where I could slide a condom into the action. Most annoying yet it is necessary when it comes to writing first time sex for characters. It’s hard enough trying to work out where hands and legs should be let alone getting a piece of rubber into the action. No, I’m not going to get all preachy about safe sex, suffice to say, you’re risking much not using a condom with a new lover. But that’s your choice.

There is always great debate in the romance writing world about the need to write condoms into the action. I don’t have a problem with it as realistically condoms, penises and sex just are what they are. Until the characters are in a committed relationship – sex is not on until it’s on. I think Julia Roberts'

character in Pretty Woman summed it up when she said. “I’m a safety girl.” But various authors have various ways of getting out of using them on their characters. Some set their stories in futuristic worlds whilst others have their characters live in the realms of fantasy where disease and unwanted pregnancies are not an issue. One author I know sets her books in the 1980’s where the pill was apparently enough to stop anything major happening to her characters. While I respect her writing, I can’t agree with that. I travelled a lot overseas in the 80’s and AIDS was a huge concern then as it is now.

I did once unintentionally embarrass a man dreadfully when I was working in London in Superdrug (Supermarket chain). I was called to give a price check but I could not see what the other staff member was holding up at the other end of the store so I yelled out –

A - “What is it?”
She yelled back “Durex”. The man went red.
A- I yelled back “Oh condoms, what size?” The man scarpered from the store. Oh dear. No sex that night for him I suspect.

Anyway, to each their own. Put it on, don’t put it on. Write it in or not. I totally understand why Publishers want to see it written in. They, along with the author, have a responsibility to present a book that reflects issues that affect society even if it is a fictitious romance. I also understand the argument that fiction is just that. It’s an escape and the rules of the normal world do not necessarily apply. I’m not sure what a reader thinks but I would like to know.

So, I wrote the condom in. I like to try and make it a team event with the hero and heroine getting that pesky bit of latex on and whatever interesting things develop from all that touching, tugging and rolling. It’s better to write it in now than have my diligent editor say “Where’s the condom, Amarinda?” I am a trial to the woman I know. If it’s not condoms and Aussie slang then its head banging – no, that has nothing to do with condoms per se.

Speaking of condoms…Thief of Mine excerpt – **Be warned – sexual content may offend.

Stella smiled wickedly at both men. It was kind of funny that they wanted her all hot, naked and depraved as long as she was comfortable.
“Condom.” Stella held her hand out to Kit. She wanted to be fucked now.
Kit felt around in his pocket and swore.
“Frig! I don’t have one.”
“I do man!” The cleaner reaching into his bulging pants and pulled out a small foil packet and handed to Stella.
Stella leaned in and kissed the man’s cheek. The man groaned at such a simple action. He grabbed his crotch in response. Stella smiled at his reaction. He may be making the rules but he was just a man who could easily be brought to his knees by the thought of sex. She opened the packet and removed the condom.
“It’s black.” And wickedly ribbed, not that Kit needed any extra help but those ribs looked awfully thick and stimulating. She turned to the man “You’re not black.” What was the point of a black condom if you were white? She looked down at Kit’s tumescent cock. It would be interesting it seeing it all black though. Maybe there was a point after all. And those ribs…

“The ladies like ’em black.”
Stella didn’t want to imagine him and the “ladies”. She just wanted Kit inside her, black, white or brindle. She grabbed his cock and rolled on the ribbed condom. Oh my. There was something to be said about black and it wasn’t always slimming.
Today's quote - Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere
--Helen Gurley Brown

On that naughty note, please check out the pure of heart Anny and Kelly on
www.annycook.blogspot.com and www.kkirch.blogspot.com.

www.freewebs.com/amarindajones/
Go ahead: Live with abandon. Be outrageous at any age. What are you saving your best self for? amarinda_jones@yahoo.com.au

11 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Yeah, I always make it part of the action. That's reality. And I think that sex can be really hot and still real. I agree that it's important to reflect the reality of safe sex. No need to be dead.

Good blog!

Unknown said...

I believe I fall under the catagory of making my characters not need condoms so I don't have to worry about working them in...so to speak. That is one of the big reasons I love to write about vampires, my vamps do not carry or contract diseases and they cannot get anyone pregnant. Hooray.

Fantastic excerpt by the way, I haven't read that book yet, but it just moved up my list of "to buy."

Dakota

Molly Daniels said...

Ha ha:) Love the cartoons:) Great blog and excerpt!

Bronwyn Green said...

Love the scene at the drugstore - poor bastard - lol.

Just out curiosity, how many jobs have you had?

Unknown said...

26 jobs...going for 27 at the moment. I figure I'll retire when I hit number 40

Molly Daniels said...

BTW, condoms make their appearance in #3...

Sandra Cox said...

Oh you're only a trial because of the pukeable thing and I know you're going to win her over. grin.

Diane Craver said...

Enjoyed reading your recent blog posts and very eye-catching with the cartoons. Great excerpt. This was my first time to visit. I read your interview on FAR's site and recognized that you reviewed my chick-lit mystery!

I don't have the problem of condoms since I write sweet romances, but I can appreciate how you need to get this in with hotter romances and is important.

Phoenix said...

It can't take away from the sexiness of the scene if the man can't care about her health or his own. Sexy goes right out the door. Unless you want a rotting punani with a one night stand...

Unknown said...

Gee Diane...I hope I gave you a good review.

Diane Craver said...

You gave me an awesome review. You said many insightful and wonderful things about A FIERY SECRET and gave me a 4 rating. I did email you at the time but in case you didn't receive it, thank you for taking the time to read my book and review it!